Friday 11 April 2008

HAPPY NEWS! Apheresis Worked!

About a year ago I met Krissy (Sometimes I think), she talked about the importance of blood donation and how her husband John.  Required it in order for survival. It jump started me to start donating as often as I was allowed.  I started with donating WHOLE blood.

Last month I tried Apheresis (where they seperate your blood and take 8 times MORE platelets then from whole blood), I got a nasty painful Hematoma and had to be stopped. I was bummed.  However I was going to try it again.

Today I went in at 8 am for my 2nd try. They did the right arm and sure enough, the hemotoma started back up (it is where on the *return* cycle the blood pools around the vein and not IN the vein). They had to unhook me.  This time, we tried my other arm and although the stick was harder and my vein is still not great, I was able to donate for a full 86 minutes!!!!

People ask why I do this when I don't have the best luck somtimes; is just ONE reason..............

My letter from my friend and Jland lady.... Krissy

 hey pey pey!

I wanted to say thank you and that i love you for doing the Apheresis.  i am so overwhelmed with love and respect for you that all i can say is thank you.  so this will be short!  just thank you for saving lives, and helping those with cancer, bone marrow transplants, and anybody else the platelets will go to.  you are special and you are brave.  and DO NOT say you are not! 
 
loving you and God bless you,
 
I may not feel well today, but it is a small sacrafice for someone that feels FAR worse then I do.  Thank you to everyone that sent me good vibes for this to work out today! If you would like to read more about this, I blogged about it today.
 
Peyton Ang ~ PeytonsWater
Here is John's email if you have any questions about the importance of blood donation: johneknox@aol.com and Krissy at Fisherkristina@aol.com
 

Tags:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that people have started donating blood.  Thanks so much to John!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful thing you are doing!! I'm glad it worked out that you could do it today!

betty

Anonymous said...

You are an angel in disguise......... God Bless you

hugs Jayne

Anonymous said...

How many lives have you benefited or saved already I wonder?
You are definitely a 'Special Lady'.
Jeanie xxxx

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more-you "ARE" a specialady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
connie

Anonymous said...

Oh, Angie, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love, Val xox

Anonymous said...

Angie, thank you so much for taking the time and going through the discomfort of donating blood and platelets.  Transfusions have kept me alive and your sacrifice means so much to me.  I can't thank you enough.  I would also like to thank all the other people who have donated blood.  Many lives are saved by this valuable gift.  Take care,

John
http://journals.aol.com/johneknox/too-stubborn-to-die